Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Putting things in perspective.

I work for a place that helps women in crisis from pregnancy all the way up to having young children. Tonight a man came in with his step-daughter and a 13 month old baby. He was needing diapers, wipes and clothing for the little baby and began to tell us that his daughter up and left his grandchild and they have emergency custody of him. I then looked at his salary for he entire family and it was under $14,000 a year. The step daughter was poorly dressed as well as the baby and he just looked worn our and not knowing what to do. The little boy was 2 weeks younger than Luke, blonde hair and brown eyes, just like Luke and same build. Happy, but shy little guy and out of the few months that I've been volunteering there, this was the first time that I had to hold back from tearing up. HOW can a mother just up and leave that beautiful baby? I just couldn't help but think of Luke (and even Madelyn) and wonder if he wonders where his mom has gone. This grandfather was clearly over the moon for his grandson, but financially they were in no shape at their age to take care of him.

I've just been so sad since. I've got a $375 rug sitting in my front room that I can't return and don't need anymore and I can't help to think of that stupid fricken rug as they don't even have money to buy wipes or to buy him Milk.

I'm just sick right now

No comments: